Jennings Strouss is dedicated to providing clients with strategic legal guidance to help them seize every opportunity. Since 1942, the firm has been well-known for its rich heritage, commitment to community, and long-lasting relationships. We have a deep understanding of business and law. When you work with us, you’ll have a team of legal experts who are dedicated to your vision of success.
Through our offices in Phoenix, Peoria, and Tucson, Arizona, and Washington, D.C., we leverage resources both regionally and nationally to serve our expanding client base. Jennings Strouss is deeply rooted in each of our locations’ legal and business communities, and especially instrumental in helping shape the dynamic growth of Arizona and many of its institutions. The firm promotes a pragmatic, results-oriented approach, coupled with a healthy, well-managed, and friendly atmosphere of collaboration. As a full-service law firm, we are ideally equipped to provide legal assistance to entities of all sizes.
Our management-oriented labor and employment practice devotes a significant amount of time to preventive law projects, counseling both private and public employers on how to achieve their management-employee relations goals while reducing legal risks.
Our attorneys regularly provide advice and other assistance on such issues as sexual harassment; race discrimination and other Title VII claims; wrongful discharge claims; employee handbooks; development of policies and procedures on issues such as discipline; searches and seizures; drug testing; design and review of employee compensation programs and benefit plans; and advice on compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and other legislative measures affecting employers. We assist companies in conducting investigations of alleged wrongdoing and in determining the appropriate course of conduct after assessment of the results. In addition, our attorneys help clients develop and administer severance programs, and how to properly handle individual and mass employee terminations.
In collaboration with the firm’s corporate and business practice, we assist clients in employee-related aspects of significant corporate transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations. Our attorneys counsel clients in post-transaction integration issues, helping to combine compensation programs, policies, and benefits. they also help companies draft and administer executive and employee compensation programs, including employment agreements, stock option and restricted stock plans, bonus and long-term incentive compensation programs, severance plans, employee trusts, and director compensation programs.
Our attorneys have in-depth experience in helping clients deal with labor unions, including providing advice to employers facing a union organization campaign, negotiating collective bargaining agreements, and handling disputes and grievances through arbitration. They also counsel clients regarding the avoidance of wage and hour issues stemming from minimum wage and overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
When problems arise, the firm is well equipped to handle administrative proceedings and litigation. Our attorneys represent clients in hearings before numerous administrative agencies such as the EEOC, OSHA, NLRB, OFCCP, U.S. Department of Labor, Arizona Civil Rights Division, and the Arizona Department of Economic Security.
When an employer’s only option is litigation, our attorneys bring extensive experience to bear in defending clients in all types of lawsuits in state and federal courts (both trial and appellate). Our attorneys also recognize that some disputes can be resolved outside of court and are experienced in assisting our clients through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, early neutral case assessment, and other alternative dispute resolution techniques.
The firm’s clientele is comprised of businesses of various sizes in a wide-range of industries, including energy, health care, education, public sector, construction, manufacturing, retail, technology, real estate, human resources, hospitality, and numerous others.
- Defending employers against claims, charges, and complaints of discrimination, including before the Arizona Civil Rights Division and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and in state and federal court
- Defending employers against claims of wrongful termination, harassment, including sexual harassment, and similar claims of disparate treatment
- Defending employers in wage claim disputes, including class and collective action claims involving alleged violations of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Assisting employers in drafting employment policies
- Representing employers in union disputes, including in labor arbitration, and similar internal grievance proceedings
- Representing an employer in a large class action claim in which the employees have asserted that the employer failed to pay adequate overtime under the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Representing a large public college system in numerous cases against claims of discrimination and harassment, owed wages, and wrongful termination, before the EEOC, the ACRD, and in both state and federal court
- Represented large public utilities in various employment discrimination suits and overtime pay disputes
- Represented employer in a dispute concerning the application of federal discrimination laws within an Indian reservation
- Representing an employer against a multi-party, multi-million dollar, whistleblower claim
- Assisting an employer in the investigation of embezzlement by a group of high-ranking employees, including by assisting with the investigation, providing advice in the handling of the investigation, preparing recompense agreements, and preparing for possible litigation against one of the employees culpable in the embezzlement
- Handled hundreds of matters before the Arizona Civil Rights Division and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission alleging discrimination on the basis of sex, race, religion, national origin
- Represented a large hospital in an age discrimination lawsuit filed by a former manager
- Defended a large utility against claims of race discrimination in the employment application process
- Represented national hospitality and financial services employers in sex discrimination claims
- Defended public and private employers in claims alleging violations of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Handled aggravated sexual harassment claim against a chemical firm
- Defended an employer against claims that the employer’s drug testing program violated the law
- Defended a title company in litigation alleging that the employer’s handbook created an implied-in-fact contract
- Handled a large number of unfair labor practice charges for a variety of employers
- Represented a county merit commission on procedural matters, administrative review work and appeals
- Defended national retailing client against a claim alleging race discrimination in employee dress requirements
- Prepared drug and alcohol testing programs for a number of employers
- Defended claim of disability discrimination against an employer alleging debilitating effects from exposure to second-hand smoke
- Represented employer of a large number of part-time employees in a claim alleging violations of Immigration Reform & Control Act
- Defended the constitutionality of Arizona’s Farm Labor Law before the Supreme Court of the United States
- Defended employers in a substantial number of labor arbitration cases
- Represented a multi-national company before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in labor litigation involving the exercise of management rights in making decisions relative to asset deployment nationwide
- Challenged in U.S. District Court and the Ninth Circuit the EEOC broad subpoena powers Represented a major utility in its successful effort to prevent the unionization of its workforce over the course of several union organization campaigns
- Assisted various clients in the handling of OFCCP audits and development of affirmative action plans in aerospace, utility, and manufacturing business
- Represented a large construction company in the Department of Labor’s audit of the company’s profit-sharing plan
- Defended employers in lawsuits, including their alleged breach of COBRA duties
- Represented employers regarding restrictive covenants and protection of trade secrets